Saturday, May 29, 2010

true joy

I feel like I've learned a lot in the small time since school ended.  I don't know if it's because I want something to write about, or if I actually am starting to really appreciate the things I have around me. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the latter.

This summer has already taught me so much, and it's just getting started. I'm excited to see what else is going to come my way for the rest of the time I have until school starts. Hopefully, all of these things will continue after school starts. It definitely wouldn't hurt me at all to learn how to appreciate the things that I take for granted.

As crappy as it's been not having a car, something special happened the day the crazy hailstorm hit oklahoma city. When I walked outside to see what kind of damage the hailstorm from hell brought upon my car, my aunt's next door neighbors were standing out in their driveway, doing just about the same things as I was. I had never formally met them, so I walked over with my aunt and started conversation.

I can remember when I was young, maybe 8 or 9, my brother's car got broken into, and I wanted so badly to go see what his car looked like. So, my brother picked me and walked over to his car so I could see.

While I was talking to my aunt's neighbors, I saw their little adopted son, Anthony, just looking up at us, probably wondering what the heck we were talking about. He's 4, and he was just so cute! So I looked at him and said, "Hey Anthony. Do you wanna go look at my car?" He looked up at me and nodded. So I picked him up and walked over to my car. He held his hand out and tried to touch my windshield. He was so curious, just like a kid I suppose. After a couple of minutes had gone by, I walked back over to his driveway and tried to put him down. He wouldn't put his feet down, so I just thought, "What the heck." I held him for a little while. He was so sweet. He just put his head down on my shoulder and didn't utter a word. I fell in love with him right then.

It came time for me to attempt to drive my car home, so I put him down and told him that I would see him again soon. He started to walk back to his front door.  He was very mopey. He obviously didn't want to go back inside. So I crouched down and said, "Hey Anthony! Come give me a hug!" He turned around and ran to me with his arms wide open.

It wasn't until after he had gone inside that my grandma told me why he had been adopted. His mother did some terrible things to him, things I'm not going to say. My heart broke. He's the sweetest little boy I've ever met, and I don't understand how people can be so hurtful. Knowingly hurtful. My grandma also told me she thinks the reason he took to me so fast was because I'm young like his mom.

I have always envied my friends that are very obviously good with kids. I've never been really close to any younger kids, and I've never had one really take to me like he did. I'm kinda good with early teens I guess, but no one has really touched me the way that Anthony has. I was telling my mom earlier how I can't believe how fast I began caring for this little boy. I asked her if that's what it felt like when she had kids. She told me it's this feeling times a million. If that's the case, I can't wait to have children. This little boy is truly amazing.

I had the great pleasure of seeing him again today! His eyes brightened up when he saw me walking over. What he doesn't understand is how much joy I got from seeing him and playing catch with him.



You never know what wonderful things can happen amidst something bad happening. In the two very short meetings I've had with Anthony, my life has been changed. My days have brightened.

Please don't rush through life. Take advantage of every moment that God gives you on this planet. Like everyone always says, it's the little things in life that make it worth living. What I didn't really understand until now is that the little things that happen to you have the biggest impact on your life. If something so small can be life-changing, why would you ever want to miss it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm really happy that you've gotten to know this little boy. Some of the times when I'm the happiest are when I'm playing with my nephew or my niece, and I'm glad you are getting to experience that, too.
    Sounds like it's a good thing that he's found a friend, too.
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete